Colosseum and Roman Forum
COLOSSEUM AND ROMAN FORUM
![]() |
| The Roman Forum |
The Forum, which was constructed beginning in the 8th Century BC adjacent to the Colosseum, was the seat of governmental, judicial, and commercial affairs. Public speeches, military victory parades (known as triumphs), and gladiator contests were held there. It was the true center of the Roman Empire for centuries. Ruins are scattered about the area today.
After returning to our hotel following our visit to St. Peter's, I grabbed a piece of pizza and a Peroni from a nearby pizzeria, caught a taxi to the Colosseum and Forum, found my tour group, and waded into the masses with them, hoping that as we intermingled I'd remember which group was mine. There were a few challenges: It was crowded, as I imagine it always is. Today was our first hot (~86 F), sunny day of the tour, and for all of its grandeur, the Colosseum is not a domed, air conditioned stadium. A young Italian guy was our guide, and the listening device we had was a poor imitation of the Vox Boxes we had been using with Tauck. It was a chore hearing what the guide said and keeping up with my group, but I got the gist of it and was very happy that I had made the effort to see it. We started out touring the Roman Forum, which is adjacent to the Colosseum, but I ran out of time and had to get back to the hotel to join our Tauck group for our next adventure. I found a taxi fairly quickly. Unfortunately he spoke even less English than I did Italian and charged me double what I had paid to ride to the Colosseum from the Aleph. Oh, well ... I made it back. And despite the adversity, I was very glad that I had made a point of visiting the Colosseum.










Comments
Post a Comment